What you need to know about heart surgery before you go in for heart surgery
Learn the basic facts about heart surgery before you go in for heart surgery. It includes the risks, how it will feel when you wake up from surgery and what to expect.
The risk is 10% where they cannot stop your heart during surgery. The other 90% of the time, they can.
Heart surgery is where you open your chest to fix a problem with one of your heart valves or arteries. It will feel like you are being stabbed when includes information on what to expect, how it is performed, and what your chances are of surviving or not.
Learn the basic facts about what it will be like if and when you have a significant heart operation. It will feel when you wake up from surgery and what to expect after.
The risk is 10% where they cannot stop your heart during surgery. The other 90% of the time, they can destroy your heart, and it will be restarted.
The recovery time is a few days to a month. Depending on how much work needs to be done.
If you have other health problems, recovery time will be longer.
Before you go in for heart surgery, you need to know :
Heart surgery can be a scary thing, but you will need to know some information before going in.
Before the surgery starts, your surgeon needs to make an incision on your chest. Then move your heart and lungs to the side. This is done so that they can get access to fix whatever it is that needs fixing.
The surgeon will then put a steel mesh over the organ that is being repaired. If they have to put a new valve in, then that will be done too.
You will get a tube called a breathing tube that goes into your mouth and down your throat. This is so that you can breathe even if your lungs are not fully working.
The surgery usually takes 4 hours, but it could take longer or shorter depending on the problem being fixed and the patient’s condition.
This is for readers about to go into heart surgery or have just had heart surgery, so it will be written in a comforting tone that also provides essential information.
The day of your heart surgery might be scary, but you can know what to expect before it happens!
Types of heart surgery
There are three types of heart surgery: CABG bypasses and valve replacements.
CABG stands for coronary artery bypass grafting. This type of surgery is used to improve blood flow to the heart.
What are the risks?
Heart surgery is risky. It can cause complications.
The mortality rate of coronary bypass surgery, which involves using artificial grafts to unblock blood vessels, is about 2%. The mortality rate for valve surgery, replacing a defective heart valve with an artificial one, is about 3%.
The risks associated with heart surgery vary depending on what type of surgery your doctor suggests.
What is the role of the cardiac anesthesiologist?
The role of the cardiac anesthesiologist is to make sure that your heart rate, blood oxygen level, and other vital signs are monitored during the procedure. They also ensure your comfort by adjusting pain medication levels and talking with you about any discomfort or concerns.
How do you manage post-operative pain before you go in for heart surgery?
I try to stay as active as possible after surgery, but I know that there are times when it’s necessary to take some time off. When this happens, I plan on doing what people who have had surgery typically do: taking it easy, resting as much as possible, and staying off my feet.